The E-Learning Curriculum in the T&D Curriculum

By Vince Cyboran, Ed.D.

E-Learning is not a fad. E-Learning is not a trend. E-Learning is now simply part of the learning landscape. The following graphic shows the results of a monster.com search I did yesterday.  So, what does this mean for you, especially if you are earning a master’s degree in Training and Development?

The ASTD Competency Model does not specifically address ‘e-learning.’  Instead, we must look elsewhere for a cogent synopsis of this topic.  Luckily, we can find that in Driscoll’s accounting, replicated here directly from her 2002 text, Web-Based Training: Creating e-Learning Experiences. Interestingly, she doesn’t use the term ‘e-learning’ here.

All four types of Web-Based Training are covered in the T&D curriculum, as documented in the following table.

Web/Computer-Based Training Web/Electronic Performance Support Systems
  •   E-Learning Course Design (TRDV 439)
  •   E-Learning Course Authoring (TRDV 453)
Learning Technologies (TRDV   450)
Web/Virtual Asynchronous Classroom Web/Virtual Synchronous Classroom
  •   Online Teaching Theory and Application (TRDV   501)
  •   Technologies for Teaching Online (TRDV 502)
  •   Seminar   and Practice in Online Teaching in Higher Education (TRDV 509)
Synchronous E-Learning (TRDV 452)

In addition, considerations for performance interventions–pay attention, HPI students– that include e-learning are covered in the following courses:

•  Organizational Learning Strategies (TRDV 432)
  • Blended Learning Solutions (TRDV 438)

As you plan your schedule for upcoming semesters, consider how taking e-learning courses will help to ensure your success in Training and Development.

Reference

Driscoll, M. (2002). Web-based training: Creating e-learning experiences (2nd ed.). Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons.

About these ads

About Vince Cyboran

Professor in the graduate program in Training and Development of Roosevelt University.
This entry was posted in Careers, E-Learning. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to The E-Learning Curriculum in the T&D Curriculum

1. Jocelyn says:

E-Learning is a very vital tool but must be used in the right type of training conditions. The one concern I have is the need many times for immediate feedback or the ability to ask a question and get an answer in real time. Also, when having employees do online training there must be time set aside and a location that the employee is not interrupted.

We have an online training site for Microsoft Office products and it is up to each employee to determine when they want to do the training but being able to set aside the time and move from you workstation to do it is almost impossible. So in this case I thimk having blended training sessions where the time is scheduled and employees sign up for the training with a facilitator would be the better solution.

Currently I am taking my first fully online class and my learning curve is bit more than I expected. I think my vision of what the class would be like was a bit different from reality. I’m learning quickly.

2. Lisa Aguado says:

The world of e-learning is quite new to me. I have always been accustomed to taking courses in the classroom setting with an instructor; however, I have come to like the idea of e-learning. With the current course that I am taking, I have come to like the flexibility and convenience it offers someone, like myself, who works full-time and is going to graduate school. I also enjoyed the opportunity to learn from other students and work collaboratively throughout the course. I liked the ability be able to communicate my thoughts about a variety of things. I also enjoyed reading the comments and insights that students in the course shared with me in response to my participation on a particular topic. Although there were times I would liked to have been in a traditional classroom setting, I liked the ability to work and learn at my own pace. I have found that although e-learning can be challenging at times to understand the concepts that are being taught without the physical presence of an instructor and a classroom setting, it is interesting and rewarding to learn more about the concepts and yourself in the process. E-learning provides a whole new avenue of opportunities to the training and development industry.

3. Kerry Copeland says:

Training/teaching has evolved since I was first in college. Back then then we thought teachers were inventive when they used the overhead projector. Now instructors can use all sorts of media to demonstrate how to do things and provide students with practical application of theories taught. I look forward to learning more about e-learning and how I can use the technology to enhance my classes.

4. Lauren Peters says:

I agree that taking courses in E-Learning will be extremely helpful for my future in training and development. Working full time and attending a physical classroom setting in order to obtain my Master’s degree just did not seem feasible. In looking for an E- learning environment, I was very excited to learn that Roosevelt offered this online degree for students. There are schools that strictly have E-learning classrooms, but Campus universities have been adding more and more online degree programs. Taking E- learning courses will allow me to be successful in the future, and more employable for the advancement in this field!

5. Tanya Tsiaousis says:

Taking online classes has been a great opportunity for me to learn at my own pace and I know it will only get better in the future. I honestly feel many people that have to work for a living & don’t have the time to attend physical classes will be able to complete a degree at a University because of eLearning and it’s many benefits.

Thank you!

6. There is an immense amount of opportunity in the field of online learning. It continues to expand and create even more opportunities and it seems difficult to find candidates with the technical credentials. There are many candidates who have their graduate degrees and instructional design experience, but it is difficult to find those who have the experience with captivate, etc. Our company has posted another LMS-Senior Instructional Designer position and our goal is to have at least 50% of our courses online. This field is on fire!

7. Jenn Patrick says:

I currently work at an online university in addition to attending my courses at Roosevelt online. Over the course of the semester, I have read and watched many pieces on e-learning; I am amazed at what is possible! Technology allows us to engage the learner and provide instant feedback or redirection. Daphne Koller, co-creator of Coursera and professor at Stanford University, indicated in her TED Talk that approximately 85% of universities provide online learning options now. This is clearly an important direction for education and for training and development. I am now looking forward to taking the e-learning courses that are offered; it will be a critical set of skills in this job market.

Jenn Patrick

8. Amy says:

This was helpful. I do plan to complete many of the courses listed above.

9. Indeed the possibilities are endless. I am enrolled in an introductory T&D course online and this experience has opened my eyes to the world of training and development. This eLearning format is a lifesaver and allows me to connect with people I wouldn’t otherwise come into contact with. Thank you for the article/study.

10. David Fleenor says:

I am one month from graduating from this program and I have to say that my possibilities feel endless. I just applied for an open position at a highly respected local company that literally read like the curriculum discussed above.

11. Thanks for the giving good insight!

Please post a comment

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s