Learning on the Go: Mobile learning grows up
Mobile learning is experiencing a perfect storm that creates the ideal environment for growth. When we combine sophisticated mobile devices like the iPhone and iPad, the Kindle, and all their competitors, with workers who spend hours each day engaged with their mobile devices at work and at home, and with new applications being developed by the minute, we create the perfect opportunity for unprecedented growth. According to the Maisie Organization, Mobile learning is growing, but certainly not reaching its potential:
- 24% of respondents currently deploy some mobile learning in their organizations.
The most common transactions on a mobile device currently include placing and
receiving organizational phone calls (98%), emails (91%), and text messages (83%).
- Many use mobile devices for writing/word processing (68%) and to deploy audio
- 73% of mobile learning today is not integrated with an LMS.
- 52% of respondents use in-house resources to develop mobile learning.
- 53% of mobile learning initiative funding comes from a Training department.
How might organizations and education institutions use mobile learning in the future? Provide links or examples of current applications and also ideas for new ways that we can benefit from mobile learning.