Below you will find local face-to-face events, webinars, and virtual training sessions relevant to our students, alumni and readers. Note that all are listed in Central Standard Time and are listed in ascending order, with the most recent events first. For more information about the events, please refer to the linked information in the original post or the contact person listed.
Developing Function Leaders to Drive Business Growth
Date & Time: May 10th at 11 a.m.
Are Your Function Leaders Driving Business Growth?
Called the “linchpin” of organizations, function leaders have arguably the greatest impact on your business performance. Yes, company executives determine the organization’s mission and direction, but functional managers control expenses, manage resources, make decisions about specific projects, and drive the success or failure of many strategic priorities. As your function leaders succeed, so too does your organization.
Yet many function leaders are figuratively flying blind—unable to elevate their performance—due to severe organizational underinvestment in their development. A study shows that function leaders get less than 40% of the training and development invested in high potentials.
Join us for a webinar on Developing Function Leaders to Drive Business Growth. We will present original research that helps you unleash the immense competitive value of your function leaders. And we will hear directly from a top executive and function leader on what it takes to succeed.
During this session, you will learn:
- Why the value and influence of function leaders has never been stronger
- The five roles most critical to function leader success
- The development experiences that accelerate function leader performance
- A smart business case for securing a greater development investment in those leading a function
Trends in Training & Learning Management
Date & Time: May 23rd at 11 a.m.
Join Adobe eLearning Evangelist Dr. Allen Partridge for this lively conversation about the latest trends in training & development. Based on recent studies and research the session will explore what people are doing in organizations around the world, and how organizations can achieve great results with modern learning programs.
Dr. Allen Partridge will discuss the:
- Impetus behind creating and developing virtual universities
- Growing demand to encourage learner immersion and ongoing engagement
- Rise of mobile learning
- Role of skill-based learning in business training
- Use of gamification for learner engagement and motivation
- Ongoing expectations of learners for video
- Point of need learning and developments in social learning
- Proving the value of your learning program through more relevant reporting
Breathe Life Into Your Technology Evaluation With CPR
Date & Time: May 23rd at 11 a.m.
When you ask learning and development professionals their favorite aspects of the job, rarely does learning tool evaluation top the list. Doing a full evaluation takes time, money, and resources away from already busy schedules.
In this session, Cara North will introduce you to CPR, a learning technology framework created at The Ohio State University that takes the most essential elements of a technology evaluation and breaks them down into manageable steps. You will learn more about a case study where CPR was used to evaluate the Duolingo English Test, an online assessment that tests English proficiency through various types of assessment.
Following this webinar, attendees will be able to:
- explain the steps of CPR
- develop evaluation instrumentation
- apply CPR to a learning technology tool
- develop and apply best practices for conducting their own learning technology evaluations
Training Technical Talent on People Skills, Even IT
Date & Time: May 24th at 11 a.m.
Your organization pays a lot of money for technical talent, both salaries and certification/technical classes. With career emphasis on coding instead of people, you may have very talented technologists who struggle to work with others. Unfamiliar with emotional intelligence and people protocol, your talented technical people may be in trouble for speaking harshly to customers and peers. It’s critical that these valuable people learn to communicate, influence and connect. You can teach that!
After attending this webinar, you’ll learn how to:
- Identify learning objectives and outcomes for growing the people skills of your technical talent.
- What’s Agile got to do with it?
- Go where they are: leverage games and competitions to ease them into new perspectives.
- Learn to combine technical and non-technical staff to collaborate over real issues in the business AND grow respectful relationships.
Making the Case for Learning
Date & Time: May 30th at 11 a.m.
Regardless of economic times, funding for learning and development is always at risk. Mitigating the risk of losing resources requires a shift in thinking to one that focuses on results rather than the activity of learning. It requires a design mentality where the basis for programming begins with the Why? and the end game is not the evaluation, but the optimization of results.
Dr. Patti P. Phillips, along with her husband and business partner, Dr. Jack J. Phillips, has spent the past decade helping organizations integrate measurement and evaluation into their programs, projects, and practices. Their work has influenced the thinking of learning professionals worldwide.
During this session, you will learn:
- The latest research on what executives want from their learning investments
- Eight steps to enable teams to protect and increase budgets
- Techniques to seamlessly integrate measurement, evaluation, and ROI into your programs, projects, and practices
Make Virtual Classroom Learning Relevant With Scenario-Based Learning
Date & Time: June 4th at 12 p.m.
Adults learn best when content is relevant. So why do most virtual classroom events rely on lectures and slides? It’s because we focus on pushing out as much content as possible. Instead, let’s get learning to stick by involving learners through scenario-based learning. This approach makes every formal learning moment relevant and impactful.
Join us for this complimentary Training Industry webinar, sponsored by Cornerstone On Demand. Jennifer Hofmann, president of InSync Training, will share:
- How scenario-based learning supports adult learning theory
- Techniques for implementing three types of scenario-based learning in the virtual classroom
- Seven steps for creating scenarios
- The power of time-releasing content
- A campaign approach that allows us to use live learning time for application and practice
- Virtual classroom activity debrief techniques
- A take-away template for constructing scenarios in your virtual classroom designs
Transitioning to Agile? Training Saves the Day
Date & Time: June 12th at 11 a.m.
Fortune 500 companies are urgently adapting Agile to their work, whether building eLearning or IT solutions. Unfortunately, just about everyone is a novice. Agility, collaboration and learning through mistakes is NOT the way most teams are used to working. Training professionals have the unique ability to help grow a new Agile way for people to work together to serve the customer needs.
Transitioning to an Agile philosophy, process, tools and mindset is a positive experience, but only after you let go of your Unconscious Bias to Hierarchy. The focus changes to:
- Satisfying the customer
- Embracing constant change
- Creating working ‘stuff’ instead of lots of diagrams
- Equal voice and contribution
- Emphasizing face to face (not email) interaction
- Choosing simplicity over everything
- Constantly adjusting through reflection and learning
Training professionals are often more qualified to identify and shift culture, collaborate no matter what, and focus on the hard “Soft” skills – collaboration, communication and clarity. But traditional workshop will not be popular. Learn how to transfer learning in small ways within the Agile process.
In this session, you’ll learn to lead the charge by:
- Building confidence in leading in the Agile space through in the moment learning.
- Identifying how roles and norms are different in Agile and how they create anxiety in a hierarchical company
- Learn from stories of others so you can use your training powers to lead your company through the rough cultural transition. Lead the people side of Agile to support your IT project success.
Articulate Rise: Create Fast and Effective Responsive Content for your Learners
Date & Time: June 13th at 2 p.m.
Often we have stakeholders or SMEs come to us with documentation that they want turned into eLearning. As an instructional designer, you may look at that content and realize traditional eLearning might not be the answer. Articulate Rise is a web-based authoring tool that is part of Articulate 360 and offers an instructional designer a faster and easier way to get content into a more digestible format for learners. It is fast to use, mobile responsive, and SCORM compliant. In this session, we will convert an ALL text-based SME PowerPoint and transform it into a responsive, web-based Articulate Rise course.